Kinetic energy is motion of waves, electrons, atoms, molecules, substances and objects. The types of kinetic energy are:
- Radiant energy is electromagnetic energy that travels in transverse waves (light, x-rays, gamma and radio waves).
- Thermal energy, or heat, is the energy that comes from the movement of atoms and molecules in a substance (geothermal energy of the earth).
- Motion energy is energy stored in the movement of objects. The faster they move, the more energy is stored (wind).
- Sound is the movement of energy through substances in compression/rarefaction waves. Sound is produced when a force causes an object or substance to vibrate.
- Electrical energy is delivered by tiny charged particles called electrons, typically moving through a wire (lightning).